4 Month Old Pup threw up 5 times last night, please help
I have a chocolate lab/beagle mix pup around 4-5 months old that we got from a neighbor. Yesterday when he came in the house he did not touch his food or water. Last night he threw up around 5 times within a few hours. I could hear his stomach rumbling and making noises just like humans do when they are hungry or have an upset stomach; gurgling and such. His eyes were running and I kept cleaning them.
I worried about him through the night but he has not thrown up since. He still goes outside to use the bathroom but is not as active as he usually is. The neighbor's dog had ripped into a garbage bag and that is the only thing that I can think of where he would have got into something to upset his stomach.
He still has not really ate or drank. I forced some water into his mouth a few times and he swallowed it. The only thing that he has ate today has been a piece of cheese. His vomit last night was yellowish in color. I really don't know what to do for him. I am out of work and do not have the money to take him to the vet unless it's absolutely necessary. I was going to give him 24 hours to see if he improved.
Can someone offer any advice?
It does sound as though your pup may have eaten something he shouldn't and that it has upset his stomach. The accessible garbage and the tummy-rumbling sounds plus vomiting all seem to be pointing in that direction.
If he's not vomited since last night, chances are he's over the worst of the problem, but you definitely want to make sure he gets some fluids as he could become dehydrated. I'd recommend checking out my Puppy Vomiting page for tips and advice on helping him.
However, if your puppy does continue to vomit, has repeated diarrhea, or any other signs of illness then you will need to have him examined by your veterinarian. There are many dog illnesses that have diarrhea, vomiting and lethargy as symptoms and if this doesn't pass within 24 hours then you need to consider this possibility.
I wish you the best of luck and hope that your pup is doing much better soon.
Click here to post comments.
Return to Puppy Health Problems.