I just got an 8 week old Kelpie/Collie cross yesterday and he keeps on scratching and biting at his fur.
He came from a farm and was kept in a barn with his brothers and sister. He also seems to have scratches and scabs on his skin, I thought he might have fleas but I can't see any.
I haven't fed him anything other than what he is used to (dry puppy food and weetabix).
What should i do?
If your puppy was living outdoors in a barn, he could well have fleas or other parasites, even if you can't see any right now.
First of all I would recommend getting a good 'topical' flea preventative for him. Check with your vet and make sure you get one that is effective and safe for a puppy of his age.
Many dogs and puppies suffer from canine allergies. A classic cause is a sensitivity to flea saliva, but a dog food allergy or even a contact allergy is possible.
I would remove the Weetabix from his diet and slowly change him over to a food that is designed for dogs with allergies/sensitivities.
Skin irritation such as itching, redness, rashes, scabs and so on are all classic signs of an allergy to something, it's just a case of finding the 'trigger'.
Meanwhile, try using a hydrocortisone-based cream or spray to treat any itchy parts of his skin. Your vet may also have a product that can help.
Best of luck with your little guy, hope he's doing better soon.
Click here to post comments.
Return to Puppy Questions.